The Cairns Hospital is the largest major hospital in Far North Queensland. It offers 24 hr emergency services to Cairns and the surrounding regions, and also receives patients from remote communities.
Radiology SA has been providing diagnostic and interventional radiology services to Cairns Hospital since April 2010, with a second successful contract beginning January 2017.
As well as providing services to the busy Cairns Hospital, Radiology SA reports examinations from the surrounding regions, including Atherton, Innisfail, Mareeba and Mossman. Key to providing high end professional services is a motivated and dedicated team of local radiologists, supported by visiting radiologists from Adelaide, and teleradiology as required.
Some of the service benefits and highlights resulting from the presence of Radiology SA in Cairns include:
- Increased number of multidisciplinary clinical meetings
- Improved capacity for and breadth of procedures in interventional radiology, with on site Tier B radiologists helping avoid inter-hospital transfers
- High end professional services at Cairns and The Hinterland region
- Weekend reporting service and interventional cover
- Subspecialty reporting of cardiac CT, virtual colonography, MRI prostate and breast
- High end PET service
- Mentoring of medical students on radiology rotation
- Investment in T-Lan IT network to facilitate data transfer for out of hours reporting
- Off-site medical typing assistance
Clinical Director: Dr Daniel Webb (CNS)/Dr Brett Lorraine (ADL)